Creative educational approaches will be required to inspire the next generation of synthetic biologists and develop future leaders in the field.
ERASynBio Strategic Vision, 2014
Synthetic Biology is an interdisciplinary field and training for students as well as new and existing researchers is vital to deliver on its potential. The UK government have invested over £2 million in training for synthetic biology since 2013 and training was a major focus on the UK roadmap and ERASynBio strategic visions.
The SRI will help link those working or interested in synthetic biology at the University of Cambridge to a range of opportunities for learning, training and gaining practical research experience in the field.
If you want more information on opportunities listed here, have a suggestion for training that should be organised within the University or would like to offer training/mentoring to other members of the SRI, please contact the SRI Coordinator Jenny Molloy on email@example.com.
Training News and Announcements
- Open research training for PhD students in sciences, technology, engineering and mathematics (14 Feb - 7 Mar 2017)
- The Office of Scholarly Communication is offering a series of courses in open research training for PhD and graduate students at the University of Cambridge.
- [Closes 4 Dec 2016] SynbiCITE 4-Day MBA at Imperial College London from Dec 11, 2016 06:00 PM to Dec 15, 2016 09:00 PM
- SynbiCITE is running a 4-Day MBA 'More Business Acumen: Building a Synthetic Biology-rich Biotech Business from Scratch' again this December.
- Call for participation in 4th International Synthetic & Systems Biology Summer School - to be held in Cambridge!
- The Synthetic and Systems Biology Summer School (SSBSS) is a full-immersion five-day residential summer school at the Robinson College - University of Cambridge - UK on cutting-edge advances in systems and synthetic biology with lectures delivered by world-renowned experts.
- The second annual UREC Research Ethics Workshop, 13 June 2016 15:00-17:00 Jun 13, 2016 from 03:00 PM to 05:00 PM — Lecture Room 1 of the Mill Lane Lecture Theatres,
- The University Research Ethics Committee (UREC)
- Summer School Workshop 27-29 June 2016 - EPSRC & BBSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Synthetic Biology from Jun 27, 2016 10:30 AM to Jul 28, 2016 12:30 PM
- [Open Technology Week] OSF framework - platform to manage and share your research data Jun 09, 2016 from 04:00 PM to 05:00 PM — Online,
- Open Science Framework (OSF) is an open source platform to support researchers during the entire research lifecycle: from the start of the project, through data creation, editing and sharing with collaborators and concluding with data publication.
- [Open Technology Week] Arduino and sensors workshop Jun 08, 2016 from 09:30 AM to 04:30 PM — Department of Engineering, University of Cambridge,
- One day Arduino workshop 8 June 2016 Department of Engineering For beginners, intermediate, advanced users of Arduinos - Part of Open Technology Week 2016
- Start-up skills workshop for postdocs: pitching and business plan writing to make your new company stand out, with Dr Darrin Disley May 25, 2016 from 05:30 PM to 07:30 PM — Hauser Forum, 3 Charles Babbage Road, West Cambridge,
- Start-up skills workshop for postdocs: pitching and business plan writing to make your new company stand out, with Dr Darrin Disley
- [Closes 30 May] CUTEC Bio-Hackathon - apply now!
- With support from the SynBio Fund, CUTEC is hosting the UK’s first ever bio-focused “hackathon” in the University of Cambridge. Interdisciplinary teams will take on some of the greatest challenges facing biology.
- [Closes March 2016] Internship: Interdisciplinary Research Project on plant communication and signaling
- This summer Microsoft Research offer a 12 week long internship to a Graduate/PhD student that is interested in taking part in an interdisciplinary research project that will focus on plant communication and signaling in plants. [Deadline March 2016]
- 2016 Synthetic Genome Summer Course: July 3rd to July 7th from Jul 03, 2016 09:00 AM to Jul 07, 2016 05:00 PM — Edinburgh,
- In conjunction with the Annual Sc2.0 and Synthetic Genomes Conference, the University of Edinburgh, Imperial College London and the BBSRC are running an exciting 5-day residential summer school in Edinburgh teaching the practical lab techniques and theory behind genome synthesis, CRISPR-Cas9 genome engineering and advanced synthetic biology.
- Workshops: Responsible Research and Innovation in SynBio
- Two training workshops are being held on 2nd and 3rd March at the John Innes Centre, Norwich looking at Responsible Research and Innovation: Ethics, openness and outreach in Synthetic Biology, followed by media training from BBSRC. OpenPlant-funded applicants are prioritised but a small number of places may be available to other early career researchers at the University of Cambridge/JIC/TSL.
- CSHL Synthetic Biology Course, August 2 - 15, 2016
- This course at Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory will focus on how the complexity of biological systems, combined with traditional engineering approaches, results in the emergence of new design principles for synthetic biology. The Course centers around an immersive laboratory experience. Application Deadline: April 15, 2016
- Apply to CUTEC Sustainable Futures Challenge with your sustainable synthetic biology ideas
- Are you interested collaborative problem-solving and for a more sustainable future? Use your skills and passion to work with people of various backgrounds to solve agri-tech problems and create impact.
- Cambridge-JIC iGEM Team open for applications until 26 Jan 2016
- Cambridge-JIC iGEM Team seeks members to compete in an international undergraduate synthetic biology competition in Summer 2016.
- Cambridge-JIC iGEM Team Open for Applications for NEW Plant Track!
- Undergraduates are invited to apply to join the Cambridge-JIC iGEM Team in Summer 2016 to engineer plants using synthetic biology before joining the iGEM Giant Jamboree in Boston